St Laurence School -
Following 10 years of community fund raising, the hall was officially opened in November 1956 -
At the opening ceremony Admiral Sir Victor Crutchley, Dorset's High Sheriff, commended the idea of a hall as a war memorial, being a most useful and thoughtful monument. The Dorset Evening Echo reported in a review of 1956 -
On Remembrance Day 1957 an oak memorial plaque, recording the names of those villagers who lost their lives in the two wars, was unveiled.
The hall quickly became a centre for community activity, including dances, stage shows, flower shows, bingo and was popular as a venue for wedding receptions. Dorset County Council opened a library there in April 1957 and the WI converted part of the attic to become their headquarters in 1966.
In 1975 the library was closed, becoming an additional meeting room, and replaced with a mobile library. In 1986 the former library was named 'The Menzies Room' in recognition of the dedication and hard work of one of the Hall's longest serving members -