Dorothy Marsh in Guides uniform 1930s
Return to the top of the page
The 1901 Census lists John Cake as the Innkeeper. By the 1920's John Marsh was the landlord, he was still there in 1940. Following the death of his wife, his niece Alice Crocker came to help run the pub.
Len and May Clark were the publicans in 1948 and stayed until their retirement in approx Sept 1969. There were skittles and darts teams. During their time the pub gained its spirit licence (late 1940's/early 1950's) having previously been an alehouse.
In approx September 1969 Roy and Joyce Reynolds took over. They organised many events including New Year's Eve Fancy Dress; Three-legged races on a route which took them from the Masons to The Ship and then the Standard; Human Bar Skittles played in the field opposite. The pub entered a float in Weymouth Carnival and the Ladies challenged the Men to a football match at The Plot. There were also successful Dart's Teams and The Masons Arms Football Team. Roy and Joyce 'retired' in May 1985 (Roy becoming assistant manager at the King's Arms on Weymouth quay).
In March 1990 Devenish Brewery announced plans to close The Masons Arms and sell the site for redevelopment. This was fought by locals and landlords Wally and Ann Tanner remained. They developed the catering side of pub and it became a popular place to eat. On 4 June 1994 they held a 'D' Day event with customers wearing 1940's costumes and a display of vintage army vehicles. The Tanners left in the Spring of 1997 and new tenants ran the pub until early 2000 when Devenish sold the freehold and 'The Riverhouse' opened in July 2000.
Picture Gallery - Sports Teams
Click on picture to see a zoom view
Masons Arms 1920